Saturday, March 20, 2010

"they got me!'

we love the series "band of brothers". it is an amazing mini-series about WWII. One of the characters, a writer and a man who hated war, gets shot somewhere along the line. when it happened he yelled out "they  got me". you definitely get the impression that he had practiced what he would say in the event of getting shot. "they got me" was not in his plans. he was actually quite embarrassed about it, like he was in an old spaghetti western and a guy named "black-eyed pete" got him good.

anyway this is the memory that came flooding into my mind the other day when Shawn and I were walking out of a restaurant. He had Emma and i had all the stuff. as i walk up to the car i hear shawn yell (really loud) "My Knee!!!" i turn around, and in my memory this is all in slow motion, to see shawn stumbling to the ground doing all he can to not land with his full weight on our daughter.

i have a horrible habit- i laugh at the most inopportune times. i wish i could stop, honestly i do.

my husband just sacrificed his knee- threw all of his body weight onto it- to make sure that emma's little organs didn't get squished. i wish, in retrospect, that i could have felt more like a MASH nurse, that rushed to his side and did something STAT. instead i grabbed Emma, had to turn around because i couldn't stop laughing.

this is very embarrassing for me.

mostly because when he yelled out "my knee!"and then started to roll back and forth on the ground,  all i could hear was "they got me!" and it felt like the whole world instantly turned into a john wayne movie.

shawn is fine, emma is fine. and i did truly care about his well being in between fits of laughter.

i am grateful that he knows that i am like this - he didn't even get mad at me. good man.

No comments:

Post a Comment