Thursday, February 10, 2011

the 40's mom

i went for a walk today with my two daughters. emma, as is her custom, waved and shouted a friendly hello to an elderly woman walking by. "well, hello there" she says "arent you cute?"

this is all standard. emma waves and is sweet to young and old.

it is what comes next that takes me back. she then looks at me and says "is she your grandchild?'

WHAT??

today, of all days, and i just got a great compliment on sunday that i look so young. big sigh.

"no, she is my daughter, and so is this one" pointing to alina in the other little seat in the stroller.

"oh, i'm sorry, grandparents look so young these days"

really? that was a pretty lame covering of your tracks nice elderly lady. well, maybe i should be careful how i throw that word around since she may describe me the same way.

so, that was an awkward conversation. but at the core of who i am, i am settled with being a mom later in life.  i am like....a celebrity! they are all having their kids later in life too. this is what i tell myself when the "g" word is thrown out (which has only happened one other time, lest you think it is a daily occurrence).

i look back on my life and i really have no regrets about the timing of things. i have two beautiful children and the energy to chase them, i have an awesome husband, and a great life. i was able to establish my career before having kids. i have more patience and i think more love to give them at this stage of my life.

so there, perfect stranger that i met on the street today. i am 40, and a mom of two babies,  and maybe more if God wills it. so whaddaya think of that!??!

beside that, i also blog, and i have a cell phone and an itouch that i know how to use - i am one tech savvy, lookin good wanna be granny of two little babies and yes, i love it all.

now, if you will excuse me i need to go and rinse my dentures, change my depends, and chase after my toddler.

2 comments:

  1. Teehee. That's terrible and fantastic...you're funny. It reminds me of the time when some cashier asked if Sandy was my mom's mom and my grandma. She didn't like that much. ;)

    P.S. You don't looks like a grandma. Maybe the old lady didn't have good eyesight. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter-in-law's mother was a grandma at 32, so yes it's possible for you to have an 8 year old grandchild, but instead you are a yummy mommy with cool hair. Good choice!

    ReplyDelete