Friday, August 19, 2011

the potty season

just when you think that you are the craziest person on the planet, you can find someone crazier (i kind of wondered if crazier was actually a word, but the computer let my type and a leave it without underlining it to tell me "that is not a word you crazy lady").

i just read an article that explained how this woman was working 80 hours a week, she would pump her breast milk during breaks between meetings, and then fed ex it home for her baby. um, yeah, that is crazy. crazier than me. phew, i feel much better about myself.

of course i find it interesting that she felt so strongly that she should continue breastfeeding even though she wasn't seeing her child. i wonder what the child would have preferred, her time or her milk? just saying.

long story short, she and her husband sold their house, packed up their three children and are now in the process of sailing around the world.

makes me wonder how much we could get for our house.

not enough, i am sure.

anyway, i am just saying that i do feel crazy sometimes, but i am not shipping breast milk across the country.

i am determined to not post a thing about potty training on my Facebook wall. but i can sure see why people do it. potty training feels more encompassing than finals in university. oh. my. goodness.

today, i asked her every ten minutes if she had to go. "nope", "nope", "nope". then the moment arrives "mommy, i need to go".

you do? oh good girl! let's go in the bathroom.

so we do, and off comes everything and on to the potty.

for two seconds.

then it is the naked sprint around the house - and the expectation that i will chase her little pink bum in circles until i catch her.

but...i fooled her. i hid in the front closet on one of the laps. and i waited for her to find me. i waited, and waited. probably for about 30 seconds, but that is like 10 minutes in toddler world. during that little siesta in the front closet, my darling, relieved herself on my living room rug.

i went to 4 years of university. i am an educated woman. people trust me to counsel them, and keep their secrets. and i was bested by a two year old.

should have seen that one coming a mile away.

"mommy, its wet" she says as she stands over her masterpiece. "yes, i can see that".

heaven help me, this is just the beginning.

so, while i pride myself on not posting this on Facebook - you, my beloved blogging followers will get the rare insight into our journey to train in all things potty. lucky you.

but i do have to say that today, even with the wet spot on my living room floor, was just about as perfect a day as i can imagine. my girls made me laugh, they gave me hugs, we rolled around on the floor, and sprayed each other with the hose. it is never far from me that i wondered if these days would ever come - i know i say it a lot, but i think it more than i say it - i am so thankful that i get to be a mommy, even on the hard days, i wouldn't trade it for the world.

and now, this party animal is going to bed at 9:30 on a Friday. goodnight.


No comments:

Post a Comment