Wednesday, January 27, 2010

rebellion and criticism

i had an epiphany: rebellion and criticism are best friends. in order for rebellion to exist in my heart toward God or man, I must have a complaint against them. I must search for flaws in the thinking, question the motives, and find reasons to question their character.

isn't that how it all started? "Did God really say? You wont die!" - in other words, "He is a liar and unworthy of my trust". criticism in my heart justifies my rebellion.

when a leader earns our respect or even better, gives us what we want,  we rarely rebel or bristle under them. but pity the leader we find unworthy or unwilling. we will justify, blameshift, accuse and mock the ones that we can find fault with. once the criticism foundation is built - rebellion is an easy house to build. 

if we are brutally honest, we would have to admit that we like the power of criticism. the superiority, the smug look down the nose that is followed (in our hearts of course- not out loud) by the "I would never do that" or "if i were in charge things would sure be different" Sadly, there is always that Pharisee in us that wants to say "thank God I am not like that man"

i think the challenge is to keep criticism out - because criticism wants to have a slumber party with rebellion and offence in my mind. if i am who i say i am, then trusting God includes understanding that nothing touches me without passing through His hand. when i fight His process by padding my life with only those with whom I agree, i am a korah waiting to happen. criticism is entry-level rebellion that is hungry for a promotion.

i pray that i would choose to believe the best and trust the sovereignty of God. he knows what I need, and who i need and i pray i would not fight His plan to build my life.

keep back your servant from presumptuous sin, and let them not have dominion over me, then shall i be upright and innocent of great transgressions. let the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be pleasing in your sight oh Lord, my rock and my redeemer.

2 comments:

  1. WOW great word Keri. So many need to hear this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I am one of those many.
    (Sad to say.)

    Excellent word.

    ReplyDelete